Yesterday I wrote about Grandpa J, but then I started thinking about my other two grandpas and decided today would be a good day to write about them since it was my Pawpaw's birthday.
Neither of these grandpa's are biologically related to me, but what they don't/didn't have in blood they more than make up for in love. Pawpaw was my mom's step dad and Papa D is my dad's step dad. They were there long before I was born and have been extraordinary men.
Pawpaw was musical and played in a Navy band in World War 2. He was also aboard the USS Yorktown and was transferred off of it one day before it was sunk. He was awarded a purple heart but never claimed it when he returned home because of how bad the war tore him up. He only ever talked to me about it one time and he cried through it. We lived with him and Mawmaw when I was little and I loved it. To most he seemed grumpy but I have GREAT memories of him when I was little and even as an adult. He played hide and seek with us one night at church, dressed up in a Santa hat and gave me my sweet baby Ashley, smoked a pipe and would fall asleep in his recliner after eating a bowl Brahms chocolate chip ice cream. He loved us kids and would cry when we had to leave. He worked harder than most people I have met and was the glue for my mom's side of the family. You never heard him raise his voice, but you definitely did not cross him. The last memory I have of him is him dancing to a recording of his band with my mawmaw. I loved watching them float across the floor and get lost in the times of yesterday. I still have a hard time remembering him without feeling the loss. He was a great man who loved me dearly and I will never forget that.
Papa D has been around for forever. I'm not sure how, considering the last decade he should have died at least three times. He is the only man I know that can just keep going. He has been blown up, attacked by a bull, and received a kidney transplant. I am amazed by his strength. Papa D can do anything. As long as I can remember there has always been something to build, plant, refinish, create. He is the farmer, carpenter, rancher. Oh, yeah, he is also the only one brave enough to take me out driving when I got my permit!! I am surprised that didn't kill him! His love is quiet yet strong and he sure does love his grand girls. I am so blessed to have had him in my life and to see the effect on all of us that know him. I loved going to their house when I was younger but I love it even more now. I love to watch him and daddy get along and talk about projects. I love to watch how he loves my G Deb. There aren't very many men in the world like him and I am so glad that i can claim him as mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment